Water Treatment Facts
Here are just a few amazing facts about water and the treatment of it:
- A quarter of the worlds population is without safe drinking water.
- Less than 1% of the water treated by public water systems is used for drinking and cooking.
- In the time it took you to read these first three facts another child has just died in the developing world from unsafe drinking water.
- According to NASA the natural rotation of the Earth has been altered slightly by some 10 trillion tons of water stored in reservoirs over the past 40 years.
- Water makes up 75% of the human brain. 75% of trees are also made from water!
- Water expands by 9% when it freezes, making it less dense, which is why ice floats on water.
- You could live for a month without food, but you would be dead after a week without water!
- In the United States forty-eight million people receive their drinking water from private or household wells.
- 500,000 tons of pollutants pour into lakes and rivers each day in the US alone.
- Once it evaporates, a water molecule spends around ten days in the air.
- If you donated £10 or $15 to providing Safe Water that would be enough to give one person safe water for life.
- 1 Gallon (approx 5 litres) of oil can cause an eight-acre oil slick if spilled or dumped down a storm sewer!
- 97% of the worlds water is salty or otherwise undrinkable, 2% is stored in glaciers and the ice caps, the remaining 1% is left for humanity’s needs.